Who We Serve
The Heart Behind “Santa”
School Supply Santa started in 2007 during a conversation with a local elementary school teacher. It was discovered that there were many children, of all ages, who lacked the proper school supplies at the start of the year which were needed for growth and learning.
The founder of School Supply Santa, Denise Kooiker, had a determined purpose and passion to help children in the local West Michigan communities. School Supply Santa passionately lives out its mission of “investing in students to bring joy and empower success through the gift of school supplies”.
Our prayer for each of these children being served is for them to know they are cared for, loved and not forgotten.
What We Have Done
First cornhole tournament fundraiser, “Shine Like Stars” supply party at West Middle School (Byron Center), 42 schools, over 90,000+ school supplies distributed, mental health tools distributed for counselor support, each school presented with a star registry in their honor
“Building Relationships” socially distant supply party at West Middle School (Byron Center), supplies purchased with grant from Clays for Kids which kept schools supplied for the difficult COVID season, 41 schools, 2863 backpacks, 77,000+ school supplies
“Your Piece Matters” Supply Party at Bicentennial Park, 1100 Backpacks & 36 schools, wish list for designated schools are filled, 46,000+ school supplies
“All-Star” Supply Party at Bicentennial Park, 1200 Backpacks & 34 Schools, flexible seating gifts for schools
Non-profit status finalized, “Garden Party” to distribute school supplies at Blanford Nature Center, 3-on-3 basketball tournament fundraiser, 30 schools, 890 backpacks
Santa’s sleigh & caravan deliver supplies from school to school, 13 vehicles honking horns all the way
Growth of ministry show need to pursue non-profit status to help more students, 777 backpacks
62 business/library drop-off locations
Santa’s workshop moves to Byron Community Ministries basement, Mr. Santa rejoiced
25 business drop-off locations, 165 backpacks
Santa’s workshop moved to the garage for the sake of her marriage and living space, 157 backpacks, 35 huge boxes of supplies
65 backpacks & 17 boxes of supplies
“Catch the Spirit of Giving”
Santa sets up workshop in her living room to collect supplies
Santa’s sleigh (trunk load of supplies) made its first delivery, 4 school districts
Investing in students to bring joy and empower success through the gift of school supplies.
Give every student an equal opportunity to succeed in the classroom.
Passion – Christ-centered focus on serving students, educators and volunteers with integrity and respect.
Commitment – Committed to responsibly stewarding the resources entrusted to us to alleviate financial burdens in our local schools.
Excellence – Partnering with quality businesses and organizations to make the greatest impact in our community
Relationships – Building meaningful, lasting relationships, forming community, and bringing people together.
Did you know?
- 80% of the schools we serve have a reduce and free lunch percentage of 75% or higher.
- We supported 42 local schools grades K-12, and more than 3,500 students.
- 94% of teachers spend an average of $500 and more of their money on supplying classroom supplies.
- School Supply Santa is a 501 (c)(3) non profit organization.
- We are 100% volunteer based ministry.
Opportunities to pray
- School Staff we serve as they navigate through daily challenges in their classrooms, while encouraging and establishing educational value for each child.
- SSS to be part of the solution for bridging the gap for those in need.
- Students can have clear minds to grow and thrive, to see their worth and purpose.
- Pray against mental health challenges that clamor at students, that will bring healing to the body, mind and soul.
- SSS empowers bridge building between student and teacher.
- Encouragement for our Board, Team Leads, and Volunteers while serving.
- Those who are impacted by SSS, feel God’s love and joy!
- Our hearts see with the eyes with love, and we bring joy and passion to serving.
- The hearts of those who give to SSS, know the impact of their generosity.
- Santa continues to bring joy and spread kindness!
Names and Title of Board
Owner/President of FASTSIGNS Grand Rapids
Lead Team for KSSN- Kent School Services Network.
Former Office Manager of Born Clinic
Principal, Discovery Elementary
Kentwood Public Schools
Deduction Analyst Account Manager at Advantage Solutions
School Psychologist and Director of Early Childhood Special Education Preschool Program, Wyoming Public Schools
PPS Team/QRP Educator
**Certified occupational therapy assistant/licensed
**Prospective Payment Systems Team/Quality Reporting Program Educator
Founder/ Owner of Salon